Immigration/Visas/Hiring Foreign Nationals

The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) addresses legal questions pertaining to immigration issues.  The processing of visas are handled by three other offices:  the Department of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), the Office of the Provost, and the Division of Human Resources.

The Office of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) administers the sponsoring of exchange visitors, also known as “visiting scholars” and exchange students.  Departments and other units of the University wishing to sponsor an exchange visitor must contact ISSS to request a J-1 visa.  J-1 visas are issued for exchange visitors in five different categories: professor, research scholar, short-term scholar, specialist, and student.  See the ISSS webpage for further information concerning J-1 visas.

The Office of the Provost | Planning and Finance is responsible for processing visa applications to employ foreign nationals in academic positions other than visiting scholars or others in the J-1 visa category.

The Division of Human Resources is responsible for processing visas for non-academic employees. Further information can be found in the Human Resources Immigration Process webpage.

The following University policies address the hiring of foreign nationals:

Questions concerning immigration issues of a legal nature may be addressed to the OGC.